2019-2020 NEST Grant for Local Associations
APPLICATION (online): Friday, October 25, 2019
PROGRESS REPORT: Friday, March 20, 2020
REIMBURSEMENT: Friday, July 31, 2020
NEA-Alaska wants to help you and your Local Association do more to support early career educators. So we put together the opportunity for you to access NEST grants. How can we best support new educators in your District? What events/activities will meaningfully engage new educators? Can your local implement new member orientations? We will be providing grant funds of up to $1000 to local NEST or other early career educator groups and programs across the state. Yours could be one!
Complete the NEST Grant Application here. Do your best to be as clear and specific as you can. Prudent applicants will coordinate with their Local Presidents to incorporate this new educator grant into their Local’s strategic plan.
NEA-Alaska’s NEST Grant Program has three primary goals …
- To empower early career educators to take an active role in their local association
- To help local associations implement effective New Member Orientations
- To raise awareness of NEA-Alaska’s resources to support early career educators
NEA-Alaska’s NEST Grant Program should build bridges between your local association, NEA-Alaska and …
- Early Career Educators
NEA-Alaska’s NEST Grant Program is not appropriate for every project …
- Projects that do not specifically target Early Career Educators
- Projects that do not lead to any data collection or opportunity for further engagement
- Projects that provide funds for scholarships or other fund-raising activities,
- Projects that purchase logo-wear (shirts, hats, etc.) for use by individual members.
- Projects that fund building or renovations to structures or school property,
- Projects that repeat beyond a 3-year
Some helpful hints in developing your grant application …
- Brainstorm with other members on what your local can do to support new educators.
- Complete a budget for the activities being as specific as possible.
- Develop a work plan that includes: what will be done, by whom, and when.
- Develop a data collection method to track attendees including using the New Educator Cards
- Coordinate your project proposal with your UniServ Be sure your proposal fits within your local association goals for the year.
- Determine how NEA-Alaska’s contribution to the project will be acknowledged to your
- Complete a budget for activities that reflects…
- estimates or bids from vendors where appropriate;
- To complete the application:
- Get pre-approval to submit the application from the local president;
- Go to: https://forms.gle/cDZu7EqPvVS9ymJX8
Let’s talk money …
- Deadline to submit on-line grant application: Friday October 25, 2019
- NEA-Alaska will provide NEST grants of up to $1,000 for local NEST or other early career educator groups or programs.
- Grants will be awarded in part based on the number of Criteria for awards will include but not be limited to:
- Whether the local has received a prior NEST Grant, with priority given to locals that have not;
- Whether the local has received a grant but failed to follow through and submit for reimbursement.
- Locals will be notified of awarded grants by December 2019.
- A brief progress report on the status of the matching grant activity is due by Friday, March 20, 2020. Email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- To be reimbursed, you must:
- complete reimbursement form and check-off list form
- attach copy of invoices and proof of payment (copy of check, etc.)
- submit documentation of your projects, e. sign in sheets, pictures or social media posts, promotional materials
- Document your great work, save your receipts, fill out the reimbursement form & send them to us!