2019-2020 Community Outreach Matching Grant for Local Associations
APPLICATION (online): Friday, October 25, 2019
PROGRESS REPORT: Friday, March 20, 2020
REIMBURSEMENT: Friday, July 31, 2020
The NEA-Alaska Community Outreach Matching Grants for Local Associations program is designed to encourage and help local associations (or groups of locals) to begin or expand activities in their communities that help secure community and government support for excellent public education in Alaska.
The Matching Grants program provides financial support for such local activities by matching the local’s outreach expenses dollar-for-dollar.
NEA-Alaska’s Community Outreach Matching Grants program has two primary goals:
- To build coalitions with like-minded, pro-education partners,
- To influence, inform, and engage the voting public on our education issues.
NEA-Alaska’s Community Outreach Matching Grants program should build bridges between NEA-Alaska members and:
- senior citizens
- news media
- community & business leaders
- elected officials
- the rest of the school community
NEA-Alaska’s Community Outreach Matching Grants program is not appropriate for every project:
- Projects that do not specifically secure community and government support for excellent public education in Alaska,
- Projects that do not further the community outreach goals of the local and NEA-Alaska
- Projects that provide funds for scholarships or other fund-raising activities,
- Projects that purchase logo-wear (shirts, hats, etc.) for use by individual members (However, the grants may be used for logo items to distribute to the community,)
- Projects that fund building or renovations to structures or school property,
- Projects that repeat beyond a 3-year period.
Some helpful hints in developing your grant application:
- Applications must be made on behalf of the local association, and with full knowledge of the responsibilities incumbent on grant recipients.
- Brainstorm what your local can do to involve your members in securing community and government support for excellent public education in Alaska.
- If the project reaches beyond your local association boundary, ask other locals to participate with you and submit a joint application. Consider a joint project in your area with EAs and ESPs.
- Coordinate your project proposal with your UniServ Director. Be sure your proposal fits within your local association goals for the year.
- Determine how NEA-Alaska’s contribution to the project will be acknowledged to your members.
- Develop a work plan that includes what will be done, by whom, and when.
- Complete a budget for activities that reflects…
- estimates or bids from vendors where appropriate;
- the 50/50 split of expenses between the local association and NEA-Alaska. For example, to qualify for the maximum $1,000 matching grant, you will need to budget for and spend $2,000.
- To submit your application…
- Get pre-approval by the local president to submit the application;
- Complete the application at: https://forms.gle/5faCVFTLHcEfDKQo8
Let’s talk money:
- NEA-Alaska will provide matching grants of up to $1,000 for each approved project on a dollar-for-dollar basis.
- Grants will be awarded in part based on the number of applications. Criteria for awards will include but not be limited to:
- Whether the local has received a prior matching grant, with priority given to locals that have not;
- Whether the local has received a grant but failed to follow through and submit for reimbursement.
- Locals will be notified of awarded grants by mid-December 2019.
- A brief progress report on the status of the matching grant activity is due by Friday, March 20, 2020. Email to email@example.com
- To be reimbursed, you must:
- complete reimbursement form and check-off list form
- attach copy of invoices and proof of payment (copy of check, etc.)
- submit documentation of your projects, i.e. copy of newspaper clippings, print ads, written script of radio ads and CD or email MP3(4) files of recorded radio ads, etc.
- submit samples of items produced; photos of booth at fair/festival, book giveaways, events honoring community members for their support to education, etc.
- Matching grants will not be disbursed without activity documentation attached.
- Document your great work, save your receipts, fill out the reimbursement form & send them to us! We will reimburse you half of your expenditures, up to the limit of your grant.
Deadline to Complete Projects: Friday, July 31, 2020
Fill out the reimbursement and check-off forms, attach copy of invoices and proof of payment, and provide activity documentation. (Photos in jpeg format, samples of giveaways, newspaper clippings and copy of program, etc.)
Questions? Contact: Susie Smythe, Program Coordinator firstname.lastname@example.org